802.11g bandwidth - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Cisco Small Business Routers and VPN Solutions' started by swiego, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. swiego

    swiego LI Guru Member

    I have a WRVS4400N.

    I'm trying to get a handle on what kind of bandwidth I should expect for things like file transfers over 802.11g. Generally speaking, what's reasonable vs. a sign of problems?

    Example - I have a Windows Server 2003 connected to the router over gigabit ethernet, and a laptop running Vista Ultimate connected to the same over wifi 11g. Laptop is right next to the router, full signal strength and 54mbit/sec connection speed. When I copy files to/from the Server 2003 box, I get at most about 20% utilization of the 54Mbps connection which is about 10megabits/sec or maybe 1MB/second transfer.

    Is 20% the norm or best case for this kind of technology doing things like file copying across shares? Where is the other 80% going? I assume some of it is protocol inefficiency, file sharing tech inefficiency, signal strength wavering etc, but is there any way for me to know for certain?

    Usually I can do synthetic or raw tests to measure things like raw disk I/O or CPU-memory bandwidth. Any equivalents for Wifi performance?

    (Basically I'm doing a lot of data transfers between 802.11g devices so if my router, Vista, server 2003, etc is a bottleneck then I'd like to know about it.)
     
  2. danix71

    danix71 LI Guru Member

    802.11g wireless standard has (like 802.11b) a half duplex rate of transfer. So:

    On wiki.

    So:

    20% are not 20%, but almost 50% of what you can reach.
     
  3. swiego

    swiego LI Guru Member

    Ah, okay. That is reassuring, at least now I know I'm in the ballpark!

    I guess the next question is, is 10mbits over 11g reasonable / expected?
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice