1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access restriction works, but not in chosen period of time

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by mclusky, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    I've found similar problems, but not the same, so I've decided to ask about it in a new thread (if I missed a solution please don't be mad at me!)
    I use WRT54GL v1.1 with Tomato Firmware v1.04.0944 in wireless client mode. I want to restrict access to internet for one of my computers over LAN using its MAC adress. Unfortunately access restriction works only if I choose 'all day' restriction (computer is banned). Choosing any period of day-time seem to be ignored (computer has full internet access). I've synchronised router's time before (by ntp).
     
  2. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    Hi,
    there must be something wrong with your settings ! I have no problem at all with 'access restrictions' and have the same constallation as you (restrict wired computer with mac adress). You should recheck your settings and maybe you should reflash Tomato (don't forget to cleat nvram)

    der_Kief
     
  3. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    Still doesn't work

    I'm glad to hear, that your similar confiruration works. I have flashed Tomato 1.04 for three times, even cleaning NVRAM haven't changed the point I'm stuck in ('all day' restriction works, time shedule don't work at all).
    Maybe I should try with older version of Tomato, don't you think?
     

    Attached Files:

  4. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    Have you tried the following settings ? Just for completeness :) Maybe you should retest this with IP instead of MAC !?

    der_Kief
     

    Attached Files:

    • ar.png
      ar.png
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
      86
  5. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    Thanks for previous advice.
    Unfortunately your settings doesn't work too. Have you compared Tomato version? I have: 1.04.0944. On the picture with your settings the field of MAC/IP adres is highlighted with yellow color, have you done it? I ask because there is no any highlighting in my setting page (?), maybe there is a difference between both firmwares
     
  6. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    Hi,
    I use the same version. So that should not be the problem.
    Thats only because i created a new rule to make a scrennie and didn't save it. So that should also not the problem.

    Is this the only access restriction or do you have more than one ? Maybe some restrictions conflict with each other ! If nothing helps you should email Jon about this. Maybe he has a solution.

    der_Kief
     
  7. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    It is the only restriction rule I made. I've try many configurations to find out what makes the problem. That is why I think about this situation as a bug. Comparing it to your working configuration makes me sure about it. I'm going to follow your suggestion and report it to the Author.
     
  8. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    Hi,

    if you or Jon found the solution for this please report back. So others who have the same problem will find the solution here.

    der_Kief
     
  9. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    Hey.
    I haven't disturb the Author yet, because there is a new thread in this case. I've checked logs, and look what I've found (this is an example, there are many lines looks like that):

    Jan 2 01:41:05 x user.info rcheck[1550]: Time not yet set. Processing "all day, everyday" restrictions only.

    It probably means, that the time of router isn't set properly, that is why it cannot apply time-line restrictions. But I've set auto update of time to every 4 hours, in addition every time I check Bandwidth/Real-Time (and touch the bandwidth line with mouse-point) it shows day of the week ant current time in correct way. But in log file date of 'Jan 2' is incorrect (it couldn't work this date yet).

    BTW: I have to be blind, because a minute ago I saw in Status/Overview that 'Time' is 'Not Available'. All I have to do is find out how to retrieve the time.
     
  10. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    Hi mclusky,

    i think you identified the problem. Access Restrictions can only work if the internal clock of the WRT54 is syncronized proberly. So there must be something wrong with your NTP settings.
    Go to Basic->Time and recheck the settings you made ! Choose the proper 'timezone' define the 'Update intervall' and put in time servers in your area

    Here you can find a actual list of NTP servers.

    Hope this helps.
    Please report back.

    der_Kief
     
  11. mclusky

    mclusky LI Guru Member

    Success !

    The source of the problem was not in NTP settings - it was correct. Problem was caused by DNS settings for router, because NTP server's name wasn't translate to IP address. I didn't wand to waste time for solving it, I just put IP address of nearest NTP server (thanks for the list) into a field related to "NTP Time Servers" and ... it works! I've retrieved the right time without rebooting. Access restrictions works fine too!!!
    der_Kief - thanks a lot for all your help and attention.
     
  12. der_Kief

    der_Kief Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    No problem, you're welcome :biggrin:

    der_Kief
     

Share This Page