Access restrictions with HyperWRT

Discussion in 'HyperWRT Firmware' started by amosjones, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. amosjones

    amosjones Network Guru Member

    I am having a little trouble with access restrictions on my network. What I need to happen is to block specific websites from all of the users during the day. So far the access restrictions page is not working at all. I have deny 24/7 on and nothing is being blocked

    How my network is set up. 3 Routers

    Internet --- Router 1 (WRT54G v3.0) - - -WDS - - - Router 2 (WRT54G v2.0) - - - WDS - - Router 3(WRT54G v2.0)

    The v3.0 is running HyperWRT v2.1b1
    The v2.0s are running Sveasoft Alchamy v1

    I am using access restrictions on the router attached to the internet directly and it is not doing anything to stop traffic.

    Any Suggestions?
  2. 4Access

    4Access Network Guru Member

    Did you make sure that you specified a valid IP or MAC address for the rule? Even if you want a rule to apply to everyone you need to enter an IP or MAC address or the rule won't work. (This is based on my tests with DD-WRT v22 earlier today.) To get things working simply enter the entire IP address range for your network.
  3. amosjones

    amosjones Network Guru Member

    Yes I have every computer on the network set by mac address in the router
  4. 4Access

    4Access Network Guru Member

    You know what... I bet the WDS connections are causing the trouble. Try adding the wireless MAC address of router 2 to your filters. If this works it means that you can't create MAC based filters for individual clients that communicate with the filtering router over a WDS connection. A work round would be to use IP addresses instead.

    Beyond that I'm not sure what to suggest. I just tested a keyword & URL filter that specified my MAC address and it worked fine with DD-WRT v22. The only difference is I'm directly connected to the filtering router.

    Good luck.
  5. amosjones

    amosjones Network Guru Member

    Ok thanks for the help. I changed from HyperWRT to DD-WRT and it fixed the problem, must be somthing with the Hyper.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice