1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BW Limiter affecting internal LAN/WLAN only traffic on RT-N16 with Tomato-RAF

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by perogy1, Sep 16, 2011.

  1. perogy1

    perogy1 Networkin' Nut Member

    Awesome firmware Victek – so many good features.

    I have Tomato Firmware RAF1.28.9006 MIPSR2_RAF K26 USB VPN-NOCAT flashed on an Asus RT-N16. I’ve encountered an issue where I am using QoS and BW Limiter.

    Should the BW limiter only affect data going to/from the WAN/LAN&WLAN and not across the LAN/WLAN connections?

    If not, then I am encountering an issue where the QoS BW Limiter seems to be impacting data transferred between two wireless guests connected to the router. I noticed this when my wife was unabashedly downloading the Internet (at the moment not using QoS to make my connection to the net faster) and I tried to use Remote Desktop on 3389 from my laptop to the server and the screen updates were very slow.

    Here's my configuration:

    QoS BW Limiter settings:

    Netflix was not being used at the time.

    To test this I added the rate limit below and increased the max upload/download bandwidth by 50 kbit:
    Remote desktop from Laptop to Server went from fast to crawling speed, but while accessing the server's file shares did not change. Removing Rate setting #2 allowed RDP to work normally again.

    Having QoS enabled or disabled doesn't affect the results. I can't figure out why the BW Limiter would be affecting internal LAN/Wireless-LAN traffic
  2. mstombs

    mstombs Network Guru Member

    QOS can't touch LAN-LAN connections as these just bounce off the switch, but LAN-WLAN connections are bridged by the Linux OS so they will be subject to router load at least. Could well be a bug if local traffic is getting incorrectly classified and limited.
  3. perogy1

    perogy1 Networkin' Nut Member

    I fixed the problem. As usual, the problem was PEBKAC. The last upgrade or so I didn't erase NVRAM and just carried over the settings and just started to use the additional functionality. Wrote down settings, erased all NVRAM, re-input and test - all is working as it should.

Share This Page