1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figure this one out...

Discussion in 'Networking Issues' started by PatrickG, Oct 29, 2005.

  1. PatrickG

    PatrickG Network Guru Member

    I have a strange problem. I just replaced my Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with a WRT54GX2 wireless router. I have 2 PCs – 1 desktop wired to the router and 1 wireless notebook. Ever since the swap, I have noticed that exactly 2 web sites that I cannot access on my notebook. I have no problem with any of the other sites I’ve tried – only these 2 (linksys.com and mckesson.com). However, I am able to access them on the other PC. And if I try to access them wirelessly on my work laptop here at home, I CAN. In addition, if I wire this notebook directly to the router, I CAN access those sites. I just cannot access them wirelessly on this 1 notebook. I have reset everything, dumped DNS cache, browser cache, etc. I’ve tried disabling the firewall in the router, but no luck. I don’t think it’s spyware because MS AntiSpyware turns up nothing. I’m using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and my host file looks fine (see below). All PCs running Windows XP.

    I currently have the network set up as follows:

    Router – 192.168.1.1 – DHCP enabled starting at 192.168.1.100

    Using Static IPs as follows:
    Printer – 192.168.1.10
    Desktop – 192.168.1.20
    Laptop – 192.168.1.30

    <U>Hosts File</U>
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    192.168.1.10 printer
    192.168.1.20 desktop
    192.168.1.30 laptop
    192.168.1.40 SilverLink
    127.0.0.1 localhost


    Any ideas?
     
  2. pecs_jr

    pecs_jr Network Guru Member

    Check the network connection specific DNS settings on the laptop that has the behaviour issue.
     
  3. PatrickG

    PatrickG Network Guru Member

    I've got the DNS set to 192.168.0.1. I'm using SBC Yahoo DSL.
     
  4. PatrickG

    PatrickG Network Guru Member

  5. PatrickG

    PatrickG Network Guru Member

    Well, I fixed the problem. Here's how I've got my security configured in the router:

    [​IMG]

    I noticed on my work notebook I've got the Network Authentication set to 'WPA-PSK' and the Data Encryption set to 'TKIP'. On the problem notebook, I had the Data Encryption set to 'AES'. Once I changed that to 'TKIP', problem solved. Why is this?
     
  6. DocLarge

    DocLarge Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    You had conflict because of having two different encryption settings...
     
  7. Monoman

    Monoman Network Guru Member

    DNS

    Try connecting the websites using IP addresses rather than DNS names. This will help you determine if it is a DNS issue or not.
     
  8. 4Access

    4Access Network Guru Member

    Care to elaborate on that?
     
  9. cgondo

    cgondo Network Guru Member

    well.....d'oh!

    How would you expect to have problem free if you have different encryption method.

    TKIP =! AES

    Believe it or not....this seems to be the common culprit. Just be consistent with your security settings
     
  10. 4Access

    4Access Network Guru Member

    If I remember correctly, the last time I tested it, the TKIP+AES encryption option he's got his router configured to allows either TKIP or AES to be used by the client... Besides he said the connection was working, the only problem was certain websites wouldn't load, which doesn't sound like your typical encryption problem.

    Update: Yup, I just tested it again and when the router is set to TKIP+AES you can connect using either encryption method... Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're trying to make?
     
  11. cgondo

    cgondo Network Guru Member

    perhaps MTU size?
     
  12. wiredless

    wiredless LI Guru Member

    You may have the same issue I'm having. I cannot access gateway.com or linksys.com wirelessly on my laptop if I am using WPA or WPA2 with AES only. If it is set to TKIP (or TKIP+AES) it works fine. I really think it's a router and/or firmware issue. I believe mine started (not sure) when I upgraded to 1.01.14. I am looking for 1.01.11 to downgrade but haven't had any luck finding it yet. I am using the Intel Proset 2200BG built in wireless card with the latest drivers.
     
  13. jn333

    jn333 Guest

    Same issue here..
    I have a WRT54GX2 which worked fine with AES for about a month or two. Suddenly I found that I couldn't connect to certain sites, flipped over to TKIP and all is well. Problem only occurs on wireless side, my wired PC works fine.

    JN
     

Share This Page