Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Wireless Routers' started by troubleshooting, Jan 12, 2008.
i have the WRT54G router and an adapter but I still can't use the internet
You need to do a little better then this, what have you tried? What computer OS are you running, how do you have it connected, what type of internet service etc.
I switched every cable connecting the DSL modem and the router. wat is an OS? my computer is a windows vista. I attached the adapter to the mother board of the new comp and the router to the old comp's modem. need any other info to give me any advice? I've followed the directions of the cd with the things a billion times..... maybe my adapter is attached wrong.... how do you attach the adapter. you open a slot in the back and push it into a PCI slot right?
1) Did you load the drivers for the adapter?
2) I hope you had your system turned 'off' before you installed the adapter!!!
3) Make sure the DSL modem Cat5e cable is going into the "Internet" port on the WRT54G router.
4) Since you have DSL you will most likely have to setup your router for use with PPPoE and type in a user ID and Password that your ISP supplied you with.
5) Do the settings in number 4 with a direct connection from computer to your router - not through wireless.
6) Don't use the useless setup CD that comes with any router - I find them more of a PITA!!! Just type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of IE7. When the "connect to 192.168.1.1" box comes up it'll ask for a user name which is usually 'admin' and a password - sometimes password is left blank other times it is also 'admin'. Once you're in to the router settings pages, you can setup your ISP account settings and set your wireless settings.
**TIP: write everything down that you set and don't forget to write it exactly as you typed it into the router (i.e. - lower case and upper case lettering)
Hope this helps!
I'm reli new to this thing so I have alot of questions... wat do you mean by loading the f=driver for the adapter? the computer was off when the adapter was installed and the cable is in the internet port. I realized I needed an ISP but I dont no wat that is. How do I retrieve one? I have 2 computers. The first one is connected to the modem through the router. 2 cables connect the 3 and the 2nd computer is wireless. I figured the CDs were trash but I had no other chose. also, whenever I type in 192.168.1.1, It gives me trash on wat it is. I already no. I can't get to the login place. Your advice seems reli good but I'm not sure I can follow thro welll.... thxs anyways tho....
ISP= internet Service Provider.
They are the company selling your access to internet (in the US, usually, either the cable company or the phone company).
this is confusing to me, it just don't sound right.
the modem should have a cable connecting to the wan port of the router.
both wired computers 1 and 2 should go to the eathernet ports on the router.
the 3 computer wireless needs nothing.
this is the only way it will work correctly.