1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed Tomato, now need regular release/renew

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by mepaco, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. mepaco

    mepaco LI Guru Member

    About a week ago, I switched from the Linksys firmware to Tomato on my WRT54G v2.0. I really like it, but now I have a problem. Once or twice a day, I have to log into the router and release/renew my connection in order to get anywhere. It shows it still has an IP and is connected, I can access the router just fine, and the modem seems to indicate we are still connected ... I just can't get anywhere outside our network.

    Now, this might have been occurring before the switch (I was having some problems) but it seems to be worse now. My ISP stinks so it could be something with them, but I have a feeling its something on my end. Anybody have any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Paco
     
  2. HiBob

    HiBob Network Guru Member

    advice

    plug directly into the modem if that should work then come back here...
     
  3. mepaco

    mepaco LI Guru Member

    Thanks for the suggestion, I might be able to do that sometime this weekend ... but I share this connection with two other people. Since it only happens sporadically, I'd have to stay directly connected to it for at least a day or two and I don't think they would go for that.

    Does anyone have any other suggestions in the meantime? I've searched around and seen a couple of other people on this site with similar problems but they all end the same way ... either they just gave up and got a new router or the solution was something that doesn't apply to me (I think). I'll try to track when the problem occurs so I can give more info and I'll see about hooking directly into it.

    Thanks,
    Paco
     
  4. digitalgeek

    digitalgeek Network Guru Member

    check your config and drivers...are correct(no duplication) and uptodate.
     
  5. shadow2k6

    shadow2k6 LI Guru Member

    Mepaco: I'm not sure if this is the same situation, but I wanted to tell you about something that happened to me last night and how I resolved it.

    Here's my configuration:

    WRT54G v1.1 (Main Router connected to SBC Yahoo DSL - PPPoE)
    1. Tomato v0.09.0852
    2. Basic, Network, Connect Mode=Keep Alive (30 seconds interval)
    3. Wireless Mode=Access Point+WDS
    4. WPA Personal (AES)

    wrtsl54gs v1.0 (Second unit)
    1. Thibor15c+grcore6
    2. Internet Connection=Disabled
    3. Wireless Mode=Access Point+WDS
    4. WPA Personal (AES)

    Issue: On my main router (tomato), my connection mode was originally set to "Connection On Demand" with a 5 minute idle timeout. I noticed with listening to internet radio that after 5 minutes, my connection would just die. When going into the router the connection would say disconnected. Re-connect and you would be fine. So i went ahead and changed the connection mode to a 30 second keep alive setting. After this change, my internet connection was no longer available. My PPPoE connection just said connecting, but never did. The DSL modem was perfectly fine so I thought maybe the DSL authentication mechanism was broken. Went to SBC Tech support and they had me do a direct connection to the modem which worked perfectly fine and suggested to call linksys tech support. I did not believe that this was the case and copied all my router settings to wordpad and then cleared NVRAM and reverted to factory defaults. After reconfiguring everything again with the same values my connection now worked again.

    So here is what I would suggest: assuming that you have PPPoE, verify that your connection mode is set with "keep alive" (30 second keep alive should be fine). Jot all your settings down clear NVRAM and go back to factory defaults and try again. Not sure if this will help, but I thought I'd share my experience. Sorry for cluttering this post with WDS information, but I wanted to fully explain my configuration to see if anything was in common with your issue. I really like the tomato firmware and I believe I might have just had a fluke problem. I will let you know if this happens again.
     

Share This Page