Interesting discrepancy in Tomato for Daily Bandwidth/IP Traffic

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by SteveF, Feb 12, 2013.

  1. SteveF

    SteveF Serious Server Member

    I have a puzzling situation with Tomato.

    Client 1 and Client 2 on LAN (br0) both wired
    Client 3 and Client 4 on LAN1(br1) both wireless
    The two segments are completely isolated both ways

    Client 3 scenario at 10 PM:

    1. IPTraffic/Daily: 3,496 MBytes
    2. IPTraffic/Last 24 Hours: 432 MBytes (between 4 Pm and 10 PM, no other traffic)
    3. BW/Daily for all 4 Clients: 610 MBytes (correct sum for individual BW/Last 24 Hours values for the 4 clients)

    Here is my question: should the IPTraffic/Daily not be the same as IPTraffic/Last 24 Hours for client 3? Where does the extra 3,064 MBytes for Client 3 IPTraffic/Daily comes from?

    Is it possible that:

    1. Client 3 gets extra BW from the Internet without Tomato registering it?
    2. Client 3 and Client 4 plays some computer game? But if this is the case this large BW difference should show up for Client 4.

    I may be confusing IP Traffic and Bandwidth.

    If anybody can help me out please do so. I would appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Malitiacurt

    Malitiacurt Networkin' Nut Member

    I had this problem with IPtraffic. It somehow records garbage data for one of my laptops on the wireless network. It was recording about a few GB a day, didn't pay attention to the exact amount.

    IPtraffic for last 24 hours and Bandwidth monitor didn't have it show up. Plus the laptop it was recording garbage data for I hardly use (I open it about once or twice every week for a few hours.) Since it was recording data on days it wasn't turned on, and I knew my wireless wasn't being hacked/spoofed as I gave it a static IP and do monitor my wireless traffic, I figured it the IPtraffic was buggy.

    Don't know what causes it, but after a reboot of Tomato it seemed to record proper data usage.
     
  3. SteveF

    SteveF Serious Server Member

    Thanks Malitiacurt for your post. Looks like you had similar experience to mine. I also have all the possible security features in place, so I am not concerned about hacking by outside forces. I am more concerned about inside forces

    However, the day I started to experience the discrepancy between IPTraffic/Daily (much higher accumulated daily value) and IPTraffic/Last 24 Hours (lower, seemed to be normal value) for wireless Client 3, I enabled Outbound Connection Logging for all Clients and Web Monitor for Client 3 and Client 4.

    What I did this morning is to disable the Outbound Connection Logging feature (left Web Monitor in place) and gave a hard reboot to the router. I think this might have been a false reading by the router as Malitiacurt seemed to have experienced, I shall see what happens.
     
  4. SteveF

    SteveF Serious Server Member

    Looks like rebooting solved the problem. I do not know what is was but it might be a rare bug. And I do not think that the logging features caused it because I have the Outbound Connection Logging feature on while web Monitor is turned off.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice