Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Wireless Routers' started by jaz_e24, Dec 19, 2005.
I can't get the router to work. Is there a way without a CD?
Sure. Just plug the router in (don't hook it up to the Internet yet), plug a computer into the router, and surf to http://192.168.1.1 for the configuration screens. I think the factory default is "admin" for both the username and password, but it'll be in the manuals. CHANGE THAT PASSWORD first thing.
Wireless Configuration: Disable wireless if you aren't going to use it, or set it to a secure mode like WPA if you are. Pick a secure passphrase for WPA, and then all you have to do is set that passphrase up in any wireless clients and you're reasonably secure.
Internet connection: Configure whatever settings are required for Internet access (which is most likely nothing, unless you have DSL).
Then put your router on the Internet:
- Unplug your modem's power cord.
- Unplug the router's power cord.
- Plug the Ethernet cable from the modem into the WAN port of the router.
- Plug a computer into a LAN port on the router.
- Plug in the power to the modem, wait a minute.
- Plug in power to the router, wait for the lights to settle down a bit, and....
... you should be online and a happy surfer.