1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poor wireless latency

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by ziddey, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. ziddey

    ziddey Network Guru Member

    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=157ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=1326ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=943ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=212ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=1384ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=64
    Reply from 172.16.0.1: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=64

    I don't know what's going on. To rule out any interference issues, I've tried testing in a concrete basement where I get no other AP's. I have a g54s, a g125, and a dlink di524 as reference. This seems to have plagued me for all time with tomato firmware, and various wireless clients.

    Currently, I'm using an atheros ar5007 minipcie. With the dlink, no matter if I'm channel 1, 6, or 11, I'll get consistent 1ms or <1ms pings.

    with both the g54s and g125, I'll often get the same results. However, after usage for some time, I'll end up with this ridiculous latency. It happens with both devices. Resetting it, rebooting it, shutting it down for a while if it's overheating, nvram clears... none of that seems to consistently resolve the issue. And if it does somehow resolve, it'll always revert again to being like this. For what it's worth, I have power saving for the wireless client disabled. I've never used the stock buffalo firmwares so I can't talk about that.

    I just upgraded to 1.21, and the issues haven't cleared. I'll also sometimes get general failure.

    I've tried at stock settings. I've tried with rts set to 500. I've got afterburner / frame burst disabled. I've tried upping xmit to 63, as well as going down to 28 (which ddwrt claimed to be stock). That said, I haven't used ddwrt in years, so I'm not sure if the problem will clear out if I try it. I'm definitely tempted to try though, but I absolutely LOVE everything about tomato, especially the interface, the peppiness, the ability to handle way more connections, and most importantly, its qos features.

    wireless qos (wmm?) is disabled.

    I'm at wits end here. Anyone have any ideas. I'm testing with the laptop about 10-20 feet away, and no obstructions. Can I really have two different buffalo routers that are both bunk?

    edit: I've also tried setting ack timing up to 2000 without differences.
     
  2. Mastec

    Mastec Network Guru Member

    I had those problems but with DD-WRT. Ever since switching to Tomato it's been smooth

    I don't use qos, xmit set to 25 and other than a few access restrictions, most factory settings my neighbor, my sons friend with his PSP and the wife get decent wireless signals.

    In red is my neighbor. The AP router is mounted 6 ft off the floor on the end of a divider wall separating two rooms. The signal has to travel through a wall, across the yard, through their wall to their wireless desktop. Approximately 40 ft distance between router and computer. The blue is my WDS router 25 ft away that my wifes desktop is connected to.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. ziddey

    ziddey Network Guru Member

    wow the rssi from your neighbor is the same as from my laptop when it's about 10 feet away no obstructions.

    add a wall and maybe 25 feet and i'll be seeing anywhere from -70 to -90.
     

Share This Page