1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Supply overheating and buzzing

Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Wireless Routers' started by Truculent, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Truculent

    Truculent Network Guru Member

    Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I promise I have looked :)

    About a month ago, my old WRT54G (V1 or thereabouts) died. Luckily, I had a spare v2 model that I promptly plugged in so my network was restored.

    My problem is this - the power supply gets very hot and buzzes very loudly.

    Does anyone else have experience of this? Do people think that it's purely a faulty power supply, or could it be the router at fault?

    Another thought I had was that maybe it was the mains (and that might have caused the first router to fail)? I've plugged in a basic meter from maplin and it measures about 246/247 volts - so it's not far off what I'd expect.

    Could it be the cable modem (an old surfboard from Blueyonder)? It sounds tenuous - but i wondered if the modem could overload the router and force an increased power drain. When I write it down it's tenuosity increases 10fold :)

    So - any thoughts? I don't like leaving the router on anymore. Should I bother with getting a replacement powerbrick from somewhere (can anyone suggest a good alternative - maplin didn't appear to have a 12v 1.0a supply), or should I scrap it and get a new router?

    And If I get a new one - are there any big arguments in favour of another WRT54G over a nice and small WRT54GC (excluding firmware opportunities)?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.


    (Oh, and my setup is one wired PC, a wireless laptop, and a wireless PC - and, eventually, my PSP)
  2. Toxic

    Toxic Administrator Staff Member

    if it is less that 3 years old i would get an RMA and get a replacement PSU
  3. Truculent

    Truculent Network Guru Member

    The warranty is that long? Cool - I'll have to check

Share This Page