1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router stopped responding

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by glen4cindy, Jun 6, 2009.

  1. glen4cindy

    glen4cindy Addicted to LI Member

    I've been very happy with Tomato on my WRT54G router. I changed from a Netgear to the Linksys and it has been great. I used to have to reboot the Netgear every 2 or 3 days.

    My Linksys had been running for 180 days without any reboot of any kind. However, a few hours ago, all internet connectivity began having some issues. I could not browse to the router's GUI address. I could eventually get to it, and go to several screens, but, again, it became unresponsive. I tried a warm reboot 2x without success, a cold boot without success, and finally I cleared NVRAM and started fresh.

    Since then, I've had no issues.

    This leads to my question. Is it good practice to clear NVRAM every once in a while, or was this just a fluke? How much bandwidth history can this router with Tomato store? Might I be getting to the point where this storage is affecting the operation of the router?

    This morning I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade from 1.22 to 1.25. Don't know if that will make a difference or not.

    Thanks.
     
  2. FattysGoneWild

    FattysGoneWild LI Guru Member

    That is weird. Maybe just some kind of glitch or some thing? I tend to reboot my router once a month. I am sure it is not needed but just to be on the safe side.
     
  3. landa

    landa LI Guru Member

    Try to upgrade to 1.23. It seems to be the best release from tomato.
     
  4. samuarl

    samuarl Addicted to LI Member

    I also tend to experience the same though cant quite put my finger on the exact problem though.

    When the connection becomes unstable I do a speed test (speedtest.net) which usually reports the full bandwidth up and down with high ping times. While running the test though the realtime bandwidth graph in tomato only seems to reach 1/4th of the bandwidth reported (I don't have an average turned on), the real time graph will often freeze and GUI becomes unresponsive. Using the ping tool in tomato also shows dropped packets. This happens around once a month, only an NVRAM clear seems to help.

    Im running 1.25 on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and have had this problem since 1.23 I may go back to 1.22 if it persists.
     
  5. Toastman

    Toastman Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    samuarl, please report any findings you have on the return to 1.22. Many of us are aware that something seems not quite right. The slowdown and lack of GUI response, often with a reboot after an attempt to access the router's web pages, have been annoying me for some time, but it has not proved so repeatable that we can come up with a reason. Perhaps with more people looking into this, we might find something in common.

    One pointer - I have not had this happen on the ASUS WL500gP v2 - which has 32MB memory.
     

Share This Page