1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Question Time

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by Arghtastic, Jun 26, 2012.

  1. Arghtastic

    Arghtastic Networkin' Nut Member

    I had a problem with what has turned out to be a bad cat5 between the router and modem. . . . how, long story short, I had to switch the WPA2 from WEP. My WDS setup sees each other, but no traffic goes to the edge router.

    Running Tomato Firmware v1.28.7633 .3-Toastman-IPT-ND ND VPN


    Apologies for the subject. I hit post before finishing it and now can't seem to figure out how to edit the post title.
     
  2. Arghtastic

    Arghtastic Networkin' Nut Member

    SOLVED--Did a 30/30/30 reset on the extension router. . . . came back with a new Wi-FI MAC address (don't ask me how/why--I thought that was physical not a virtual one presented by the firmware.) and I am not sure why I had to do this--on this one, I did clear the nvram.
     
  3. Arghtastic

    Arghtastic Networkin' Nut Member

    I spoke too soon. Moving the router and it went back the original mac (just an unplug and re-plug) and it stopped working again. This is driving me insane. I've never had this much trouble
     
  4. mvsgeek

    mvsgeek Addicted to LI Member

    When it stops working, what's the WiFi MAC? After a 30/30/30 or power cycle it may be defaulting to 00:90:4C:5F:00:2A - I think that's some kind of hard-coded value in cfe.bin. Go to Advanced -> MAC address and click on "Default" for the Wireless Interface - it should change to (LAN MAC +2) where LAN MAC is the one on the bottom of the router. That's the one the other router should be expecting.

    I'm about to flash a test slave WRT54GL with 7633.3 (currently 7625), will post results. However my test main is an Asus RT-16N, so not exactly apples to apples.
     
  5. Arghtastic

    Arghtastic Networkin' Nut Member

    So the problem seems to be an old one that's come back to Life. . .il0macaddr was being set to 00:90:4C:5F:00:2A. . ..problem is I forced this to the real Wireless MAC address and it changed but had no affect on WDS working. The fix was to force the wl0_hwaddr to 00:90:4C:5F:00:2A instead of the real address. This made WDS work again. I can't figure out why 00:90:4C:5F:00:2A is required/where it comes from, but I can find dozens of references to it showing up for problems on firmware over the years. I've cleared the nvram and re-flashed as well as the 30/30/30 reset. Nothing seems to make a difference. So I made an init script to reset the wl0_hwaddr to the 00:90:4C:5F:00:2A MAC from the real one.

     

Share This Page