1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tomato openvpn problems w/udp

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by twilothunder, Mar 10, 2011.

  1. twilothunder

    twilothunder Networkin' Nut Member

    im using tomato raf's openvpn server to play games with friends and for some reason when i setup the server as udp over tcp the vpn connection lags out every so often and our games get disrupted, and if i use tcp over tcp the latency is slightly higher, but the connection never lags out and we can play for hours without any disconnects.

    i was under the impression that udp was the more efficient protocol to use. can anyone explain to me why this is happening? could there be something wrong with my settings?

    thanks.
     
  2. rhester72

    rhester72 Network Guru Member

    If UDP is causing timeouts and TCP makes the problem go away, you have a connectivity issue...i.e. you are either oversaturating your available bandwidth or you are losing packets between the two encrypted endpoints.

    Rodney
     
  3. twilothunder

    twilothunder Networkin' Nut Member

    thanks for your reply.

    any idea how i can fix this? i tried playing around with fragment and mssfix values in the range of 800 to 1300 in steps of 100 and none of those values helped. at 800 there was almost 100% packet loss and all other values produced results similar to not using those directives at all.

    the way im testing connectivity is just by constantly pinging another computer through the tunnel with the default 32 bytes and watching for ping timeouts. could just pinging actually oversaturate my bandwidth? also, i noticed while the pings timeout i also lose internet connectivity on the machine that isnt responding even though i have NOT set up the server to redirect all internet traffic through the vpn.

    this is what it looks like typically when i ping through the vpn using udp:

    Code:
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.10: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 192.168.1.10: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 192.168.1.10: Destination host unreachable.
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1003ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    this is what it looks like using tcp:

    Code:
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=134ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.51: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
    not sure what causes the higher pings occasionally using tcp either since there is no other network traffic while im doing this.
     

Share This Page