1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPN between 2 RV042s Fails

Discussion in 'Cisco Small Business Routers and VPN Solutions' started by jdwhite, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. jdwhite

    jdwhite Network Guru Member

    I have 2 RV042s acting as Firewalls and providing a VPN between 2 buildings at work. I have been running them with firmware 1.3.1 without any problems for about 6 months. I upgraded one of them 6 days ago to 1.3.6 and everything worked great. Last night I upgraded the other one and the problem have started. The firmware upgrade was done with the same procedures I used on the first one and it appears to have flashed just fine.

    However, now the VPN between the buildings will not work. The VPN log and the VPN status show that it is connected and up but no traffic will pass. I'm also getting the following entries in the System Log when I try to establish the tunnel.

    Mar 15 23:42:31 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:42:45 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:45:46 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:46:03 2005 System Log XXX.XXX.XX.XXX access
    Mar 15 23:46:44 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:53:24 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:54:35 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:55:53 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:56:00 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:56:00 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:56:04 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:56:34 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:58:04 2005 Failed ioctl SIOCADDDV - No such device
    Mar 15 23:58:19 2005 System Log Restart Router !
    Dec 31 18:00:02 2002 System Log --- System is up! ---
    Dec 31 18:00:02 2002 System Log Firmware: v1.3.6

    One other hint. Linksys did get the tunnel to come up by changing the MTU to 1300 and disabling the firewall. I have to have the firewalls up.

    Thanks
     
  2. jdwhite

    jdwhite Network Guru Member

    Got it fixed

    I took it back to 1.3.1 then upgraded again. There were a couple of entries that may have been causing problems.

    1. The owner had 2 reserved IP's in the DHCP pool that were not in the Pool itself. Removed them.

    2. He had several 3 ACLs runing that pointed at the router itself. I deactivated them because he had Port Fowarding rules that alread covered what he was trying to do.

    By the way it seems the error I posted above is being generated against the LAN port and greatly decreased when I took the 2 actions above.
     

Share This Page