1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wag54g - cable connection failing but wireless is ok

Discussion in 'Other Linksys Equipment' started by ridb, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. ridb

    ridb Guest


    This has been driving me round the bend. I have until recently had very good service from my wag54g, however now I have a completely erratic service from the cable connections. Sometimes it will be up ok for a few hours. Other times it will be connecting and disconnecting once every couple of seconds.

    The strange thing is that I have no problems connecting with the wireless connection on my laptop, but my non wireless pc is up and down like a yo yo.

    The thing that might have kicked this off is that we recently had our adsl upgraded to 1mb. Could this have affected the cabled hardware in some way?

  2. Padraig73

    Padraig73 Guest

    My jaw dropped when i read this....
    Last night, this same thing happened to me.

    I noticed my speed wasnt stable again (download was really bad, upload was going up and down). At first I thought maybe someone was using my connection throught the WIFI. I disabled the wifi to check this, then the trouble really started.
    The build in switch stopped working completely. Resets to factory default, leaving it disconnected all night, didnt work.

    Wireless is working just fine, the switch is fried....

    Lights on the router arent burning, but i do keep getting the "cable disconnected message" all the time on the wired connections.

    Tonight i will try a firmware update, but I have little hope. I checked this forum and found some other posts with the same problems with the buildin switch...

    game over for my wag54g i'm afraid.
  3. HiSpeed

    HiSpeed Network Guru Member


    Which version do you have ?
  4. booly

    booly Network Guru Member

    You should think to contact linksys supprot for a RMA
  5. 7ttman

    7ttman Network Guru Member

    1mb upgrade

    I had the same problem and it turned out to be the "quality" of the phone network in my house.

    I've solved the problem by disconnecting eveything, and plugging the adsl directly into the internal socket inside the master BT socket.

    the 1mb service requires a better SNR (signal to ratio ~60db) than 512mb. 2mb service requires a much better SNR (~43db).

    turns out that I have aphone wire in my house somewhere which earthing and I can't find it. since I'm using DECT phones, I don't actually need to use the in-house wiring so I've disconnected it!

Share This Page