1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which adapter do I need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HowardKaikow, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. HowardKaikow

    HowardKaikow Guest

    Currently, I have the following:

    1, Win 2000 system networked to a Win 95 system using a crossover cable.
    2. I connect to internet using dial-up modem
    3. Win 2000 system uses a 3COM PCI 10/100 NIC: 3C905B-TX. This has only 1 port.
    4. Win 95 system uses a 3COM ISA 3C509B.

    I was thinking (yes, that might be a mistake!), can I replace the NIC on the Win 2000 system with a dual ethernet/wireless adapter?

    I have no spare slots on the Win 2000 system, so the NIC would have to be replaced.

    The goal would be to add a notebook and then a desktop, each of which would use Win XP.

    Is there a dual ethernet/wireless adapter?
    Prefer more ports so I can hardwire, if I choose, the notebook or desktop or both.
  2. Lazybones

    Lazybones Network Guru Member

    Ditch the crossover cable and get a WRT54 G or GS it will have 4 Ethernet ports on it so you can wire your wired systems properly.

    Or if you really must do it the strange way go get a USB wireless adapter.

Share This Page