Whr-hp-g54 Power setting

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by GeeTek, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. GeeTek

    GeeTek Guest

    I am curious to know what power setting people are using on this radio. I run a few at 20 mW, and today installed another at 32 mW. Did not seem to fry it, and the signal was stronger than the 20 mW setting. On a 3 meg cable connection the signal was clean enough to pull full bandwidth.
  2. u3gyxap

    u3gyxap Network Guru Member

    For a 3 meg connection you can use whatever settings you want. Even archaic 802.11b devices will be more than capable of handling it.
    Just use the lowest possible setting that works for you.
  3. digitalgeek

    digitalgeek Network Guru Member

    I don't think the radio will burn out the minute you set the radio at a high power. but prolonged usage at a higher than desirable power may cause problems.

    Remember that when we boost/amplify a signal, you amlify everything including any "noise".
  4. GeeTek

    GeeTek Guest

    For this particular install the highest power I can get away with is the best. I'll post back if 32 mW kills the radio so others might make use of the info.
  5. unix_guy

    unix_guy LI Guru Member

    The unit is spec'ed for a max TX power of 16 dBm in 802.11g.
    16 dBm = 40 mw.
    To elaborate on what u3gyxap said, it's best to use the lowest power that gives you a steady 54 mbps connection.
  6. GeeTek

    GeeTek Guest

    There would seem to be more than one "spec" floating around. The one at our very own FCC done by Mr Suzuki himself has screen shots of a service monitor showing 316 mW, and this is with stock firmware, of course. Your advice of using only what is needed for 5 bars is good advice. Where I have this 32 mW unit running, it only gives 5 bars for 80% of the area and 4 bars for the other 20%, so I can live with it. I have a case of extras, so if this one fries, I'll put an external 1/2 watt amp on the next one. I was just asking incase somebody else had any experiences with higher power settings. Thanks anyway.

  7. unix_guy

    unix_guy LI Guru Member

    Thanks for the pointer. I looked at the document. I got my info from the User's Guide, where it's actually called "nominal" power. Gee, if the stock firmware delivers 25.2 dBm at 100%, it's still putting out a whopping 83 mw at the lowest (25%) setting.
  8. GeeTek

    GeeTek Guest

    These little radios are quite a beast, especially considering the extra RX pre-amp that they have as well. This much hardware for $58 is a real steal, and Tomato turns them into a very valuable and functional device.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice