WNR3500L - slow transfers between VLANs

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by fastolfe, Sep 19, 2013.

  1. fastolfe

    fastolfe Reformed Router Member

    [EDIT: Apparently traffic between VLANs has to be handled by the software rather than directly through the hardware switch. The CPU was unable to handle that level of traffic. I took the machine out of the VLAN, and network speeds are now 100+MByte/s without any visible load on the router.

    However, I still want to have that machine isolated from the rest of the network, as it is a public-facing server. Is there anyway I can do that without VLANs, or using VLANs but without slowing the poor router to a crawl? Thanks!

    For those interested, I've found a thread from the openwrt guys about this problem on this chipset: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2013-August/020962.html]

    Hello all,

    I've done quite a bit of searching (here and elsewhere) but have found no definitive answers.

    I have a WNR3500L (v1), firmware is Shibby's tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-112-VPN.

    When transferring files between computers on the wired network I seem to get a max transfer speed of around 16MBytes/s. While transferring, the router's web GUI and any ssh terminals are unresponsive. After the transfer completes, I see at least the 1-minute load average well over 1.0 and top indicates 70-9x% sirq and [ksoftirqd/0] as the only process using significant CPU (anything else is 30% or below and only until top refreshes).

    The only thing out of the ordinary might be that I'm using VLANs, and the two machines are in separate VLANs. The VLAN is set by port.

    Is this just the limit of my router? Or am I doing something wrong? I've checked all the following:

    • all cabling is cat5e or cat6
    • both machines (one Win7, one Debian Squeeze) report 1000Mbs Full duplex links
    • the router reports full 1000Mbs Full links on both LAN ports
    • I used iperf as well, to rule out disk speed--same result
    • no VPN, Samba, or FTP is enabled on the router
    • no USB devices attached
    • I was using an earlier build of Shibby's (sadly I didn't write that down before upgrading) that also exhibited the same problem
    • the clock speed is 480/240/120 (shows as 480MHz on the web GUI)
    • memory shows 80+% FREE memory
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice