220 volt pwr sup for WRT54GS

Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Wireless Routers' started by MarkStrand, Mar 31, 2007.

  1. MarkStrand

    MarkStrand LI Guru Member

    I live in an area that has 220 volt power. The WRT54GS sold here has a 110 volt pwr supply. Does anybody know where I can buy a 220 volt pwr supply for the router?

    Yeah, I know I can use a pwr transformer, but running half my computer equip. on 220 & the rest on 110 is just asking for trouble.

    Thanks for your help

  2. ifican

    ifican Network Guru Member

    You wouldnt need one built specifically for the WRT as long as the DC output is the same. There are lots of electronic stores in my area that sell units that have multiple output ranges. Though quite honestly i think just getting a transformer would be your best bet.
  3. MarkStrand

    MarkStrand LI Guru Member

    220 volt pwr. on an American Socket

    While that is the simple answer, it's not the best. I recently moved to the Philippines, and they use 220 volt power, on an american socket. So the 220/110 volt transformer would have an american 110 volt plug & socket. I'm 100% sure that eventually something would get plugged into the wrong voltage, simply because the plug fits the socket. I want to ensure that my 10 yr old daughter doesn't make that mistake.

  4. ifican

    ifican Network Guru Member

    In that case look for an after market power supply that accepts 110-220 or just a 220 input that outputs the dc voltage and amperage you need. There are lots of ways to ensure that the two dont get separated i.e. shrink tubing, electrical tape etc. But I do understand your position, your best bet to find a possible adapter made specifically for linksys would be to contact an EU user or supplier and see if there is someway to order one from them. Could also purchase a new router same model and if you happen to find one that uses the same poweradapter just the 220 version youll be set. That way you can sell the new router, get a better price then you would the old one and probably be out less then spending endless hours searching for and eventually buying a new adapter of some sort.
  5. Toink

    Toink Network Guru Member

    Hi Mark! I'm from the Philippines. I would suggest the ff:

    1. Try Ace hardware at all SM Malls and get those power adapters with the right rating for your router.

    2. Try this forum www.tipidpc.com and look for sandee he sells linksys products here in the Phlippines and he may be able to help you get the 220v adapter for your router. Tell him "Iggby of TPC" referred you =)

    3. Buy the WINSTAR NF-70 Power converter (70-WATT MAX). I hope I have my digicam with me to show you how it looks. Just picture a power adapter and instead of it having those wire adaptors to plug in to your router (or any electrical machine), it has the input socket on its back where you plug in your router power box - more so of a piggy-back thingy - There's no mistaking of anyone plugging something onto it because it becomes part of 110v power adaptor. You can get them at any ACE hardware in ALL SM Supermalls for around PhP280.00 Trust me I got 4 of these which I use for my 110v GE cordless phones from the U.S. and works perfectly.

    PM me if you need help finding those WINSTAR NF-70 Power converter. If you're near my area perhaps I can show you the way =)

    Hope this helps. :)
  6. MarkStrand

    MarkStrand LI Guru Member

    Re: SM Supermalls

    Great Idea!!!!! I'll look into this. My GF says that the SM Malls are in Manila & Cebu City. We're in Ormoc, Leyte. Only 2 hrs from Cebu by Super Cat. THANX a bunch!!!!!

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice