Bricked WRT54G V5

Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Wireless Routers' started by mmsomekid, Nov 15, 2008.

  1. mmsomekid

    mmsomekid Addicted to LI Member

    A little over a week ago my WRT54G V5 wireless router stopped working. I had dd-wrt currently installed and running without an issue. I'm somewhat familiar with WRT54G's, I own a V2 (which I once bricked, but was able to unbrick without an issue) and this V5. I wasn't messing with the router when it bricked so I'm not entirely sure why it stopped working, but it may have been caused by a power surge, as we had one around the time it stopped working.

    When turned on, all 4 LAN LEDs immediately come on (although occasionally 2 doesn't, but it does again the next time I restart it, so I'm not sure what that means.) as does the internet LED. The power light flashes as if it is booting, and then remains solid after several seconds. No other LEDs ever light up.

    My friend feels that perhaps the switch inside the router was fried by the power surge (if that's what caused the issue, I'm still not sure if it was the surge). He says it seems to boot up normally, and that just the LAN portion is messed up.

    I've tried every solution i can think of including; restarting (obvious I know), leaving it unplugged overnight, hard resetting, power cycling, and tftp. I may have tried one or two other things, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

    I've been doing lots of googling around and have tried just about everything I've seen that looked like it might help. The only things I know of that I have yet to try are a JTAG cable (which I don't fully understand, but my friend informs me includes very difficult soldering which I wouldn't be capable of), and shorting some of the pins (15 and 16 I believe?). I've read that the shorting method is only successful 20% of the time and ruins the router the other 80%. I also read something about putting it in the freezer overnight, but that sounded fake. Has anyone heard of that working?

    Does anyone else have any suggestions? I would really like to fix this rather than replace it, if possible. Thanks a lot!
  2. mmsomekid

    mmsomekid Addicted to LI Member

    Somebody? Please?
  3. irootsk

    irootsk Addicted to LI Member

    Hm, if it was realy power sourge, than is no way to get it back to life.

    Anyway, try the JTAG process.
    Here is my package for WRT54GL v1.1 where is some stuff which you gonna need + HowTo documnet.
    But you need to get CFE.bin for your router and original linksys firmware and rename it to code.bin
    To build JTAG cable is very simlpe. But do not make it longer than 30cm/1ft
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice