Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA + WRT54G (with DD-WRT) = headaches

Discussion in 'Networking Issues' started by TheRightRev, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. TheRightRev

    TheRightRev Network Guru Member

    So, I have a WRT54G v4 router running the latest and greatest DD-WRT firmware. Everything is running brilliantly - the TiVo, my main desktop, the computer pushing my projector two floors below me, everything!
    And then my girlfriend brought her laptop home from work and the headaches began... she has a solid little Compaq laptop with a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card. Looks like this little bugger is a 802.11B card, but no bother as my router signal is set to MIXED.
    She booted up, I slapped in the WEP key, and she was online. The laptop went into hibernation a few hours later, I opened it back up to look for something online, and while it re-acquired the network it did NOT pull an IP and I could of course not get online.
    So, I began beating my against it. Nothing changed, everything seemed kosher, I rebooted, same thing. I reset all the settings on the laptop - no change. I rebooted the router, and the laptop suddenly saw the network, and found an IP.
    Huh, thought I.
    I hibernated the machine again, brought it out, it re-acquired, had an IP, and I scratched my head in consternation. I let the thing sit, it dropped the connection, hibernated, and came back up and HAD NO IP. Nothing worked again until I rebooted the router...
    So, I shut down the laptop, booted it back up, and it had an IP again. It slipped back into hibernation and guess what happened when I brought it back out? You guessed it - no IP.
  2. TheRightRev

    TheRightRev Network Guru Member


    So, I have since tried a few things that SEEMED to work...
    I re-enabled IEEE802.1x in the laptop's wireless profile for this network. I also tinkered a bit with the router itself and shutdown the Turbo Burst hoozamajiggy. All of this seemed to help and everything was hunky-dory for a few days and then WHAM!
    The laptop started losing it's connection every few minutes and when it came back it was not automatically pulling an IP address. I had to click on the available networks, connect to my home network, and then run an ipconfig /release /renew on the the card.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Or should I just tell my girlfriend (whose laptop this is) to go out and get a spanking new G-adapter and expense it back to her company?
  3. weeksben1

    weeksben1 Network Guru Member

    Not sure if this helps, but does the aeronet card have any sorts of powersaving functions? I've found that with an PCMCIA adapter, when the computer goes to sleep, that device also goes to sleep. But it doesn't always wake up with the computer. I've found that disabling the power management functions of the card itself help. I've run into this problem with Linksys, SMC, and the Cisco card I played with.

    BTW, if & when you get your problem solved, would you mind sharing with the rest of us.

    Good Luck
  4. TheRightRev

    TheRightRev Network Guru Member


    Good ideas! I checked and disabled the powersave functions on the laptop - it's now running full-bore all day every day. But, the problem has gotten even more confusing. Before I get into it, though, I will admit that I have purchased a ne DLink G-adapter, but the bugger's not going in until I figure out why this one (AND another Aeronet 350 just like it) won't work...

    So, the new twist...
    I opened up the laptop and before making those changes I noticed that again the damn thing had no IP address although it was connected and authenticated to the network. I did a reconnect, but still no IP. I released and renewed the IP - failed to connect to the DHCP server. I checked my TiVo and that was connected to the router (and the big DOH! - that doesn't use DHCP... so...) I figured I better check the basement computer - solid(ish) 65% signal strength, IP address, and on the network.
    Back to the laptop I went... I rebooted a few times with and without the card in. I swapped cards for an identical Aeronet 350 and had the same problems - though it was assigning APIPAs. I hopped upstairs, pulled up the router's GUI and found in the DHCP list the following info:

    DHCP Client List
    CXxxxxx-C86B591 xx:xx:xx:xx:93:5E
    hobbes xx:xx:xx:xx:4B:3C

    The first one on the list? You guessed it - the laptop. I ran back downstairs, ran an IPCONFIG, and found... an APIPA with no gateway or domain listed.

    So, the router sees the laptop as being connected with a valid IP address and the laptop sees the network, shows valid authentication and 3excellent signal strength, but no IP/Network info.
    This has gotten personal and I have taken to dressing in a loincloth and dancing around a bonfire in the back yard while chanting strange incantions (in a bastardizing hybrid of hexadecimal and binary) and rattling chicken bones at the somewhat distraught neighbors peering over the fence.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice