Help!!! I think i made a brick

Discussion in 'Cisco/Linksys Network Storage Devices' started by gregh, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. gregh

    gregh Network Guru Member

    So I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware using the web interface (I'm using Firefox BTW), and about 5 minutes later a javascript popup notified me that the update failed and to try again. OK, I tried again, but this time it just sat there blinking red and green, no notices, no nothing. I let this go into the next day, still flashing red and green. I eventually attempted to do a reset on the unit to no avail. Then I powered down (forcefully...had to take the plug out). At first, while this was going on I was still able to http into the unit. After the powerdown I was no longer able to http in. I have tried to tftp into the unit, but that appearently doesn't work.

    So here's where i am now, I plug in the ethernet and power, I power up, the ready/status light is initially orange (about 5 seconds), then blinks red and green. The ethernet light does come on if it is plugged into the router.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. hgoor

    hgoor Network Guru Member

    Read the manual and try to see if a HARD RESET (ie wiping the memory) helps you. If not then yeah: its a brick :-(
  3. Avenger20

    Avenger20 Network Guru Member

  4. gregh

    gregh Network Guru Member

  5. gregh

    gregh Network Guru Member

    Oops, I guess someone beat me to the punch (a month earlier). However do check out the site, lots o info there.
  6. retief

    retief Network Guru Member

    I want to thank Avenger20 and Gregh for the links to How to Recover a Bad Flash. I purchased the DLink equivalent of the NSLU2 over the weekend as I could not find the NSLU2 and what a joke. No format provided, call tech support and all they can tell me is format as FAT32. Which I do, but I finally gave up when I put 6gb on a 250gb drive and it said "full". Tech support at DLink had no clue. So, back I go yesterday to return it and pick up an NSLU2. Once I got past the Linksys standard .1 instead of .0 subnet, this should really be called out better in the docs or at least on the webpage, the unit setup was quite easy. Until I went to update the flash. I was a R23, and why Linksys still has R23 units on the shelf is beyond me when R29 has been out so long. Download the .bin, perform the update from the webpage, not only do I get an "OK everything is good" response, but as I had set email messages I got an email confirmation as well. Dialog said it would restart, and all I got was the blinking red "Ready" light. Another 2 hours on the phone with Linksys support. Push reset, try both addresses .1 and .0 that I had supplied. Over and over again. Why tech support won't listen is beyond me. Finally get to Level 2, same story, all I can do is call customer support in the morning for RMA or take it back to the store. Simmer down for an hour, google for the problem, found this forum.

    Bingo! I now have a working NSLU2.

    After finding this I felt obligated to give you folks a huge "Thank You". I will be reporting this to Linksys but I fear it will fall on completely deaf ears.

    Thanks, folks, I'll have to check in here often, as well as to the links you provided.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice