Please help me untangle my wireless mess

Discussion in 'Networking Issues' started by bookbiz, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. bookbiz

    bookbiz Network Guru Member

    I have House A served by a DSL connection that I'd like to share with House B. I know I need some outside directional antennae to connect the two houses via WI-FI.

    House A with the DSL will have an wireless Access Point (Netgear WG602v2) with a directional antennae pointed at the House B. The House A Access Point will be connected to a router and the DSL moden via ethernet cable. No problems with this. I've done the same thing in other situations.

    House B will have a directional antenna to talk to the Access Point at House A, but I'm not sure what goes with the antenna.

    I want to be able to use my wireless laptop in House B to access the DSL in House A. What to I need in House B to make this happen?

    In House B do I need a wireless router (Linksys wrt54g) with 2 antennae with one antenna listening to the laptop signal inside the house and one antenna connected to the outdoor directional antenna pointed at House A's access point?

    I understand exactly what is needed at House A, but the wireless at House B has me baffled. I'm getting routers, access points, and bridges all confused. I help some help to sort this tangled wireless mess.

    Please, kind sirs, tell me what to do and what to buy for House B to have wireless access to my laptop and the access point at House A.
  2. bluebox

    bluebox Network Guru Member

    You have two choices, with a few conditions to consider:

    If you don't have control over flashing third-party firmware with WDS support on both ends of the connection, or if you can't cover house B with wireless coverage while at the same time covering the connection from A<--->B then you should use a wireless bridge connected to a wireless access point at the house without DSL (B).

    If you only want to get an Internet feed to house B, I've made a collection of scripts that runs on OpenWRT that will do this for you all automatically: SHAMELESS BLUEBOX PLUG

    If you can flash both routers at both ends you could use WDS. This will allow the router at house B to both bridge with house A and also provide wireless access without additional hardware.

    But remember the antenna coverage thing - you may need another AP even using WDS for house B coverage reasons.
  3. bookbiz

    bookbiz Network Guru Member

    Would flashing two WRT54Gs with WDS (what's WDS?) and placing one in each house with external antennae be the complete solution for both houses - wireless and wired internet access in House A & House B?

    I have an WRT54G and for the life of me I can't remove its antennae. Are they indeed removeable so I can connect an external antenna?
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice