Problem with PPPoE and wireless in 1.13

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by Trel, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. Trel

    Trel LI Guru Member

    I am on a WRT54GL
    I had upgraded to 1.13 ( on 12/16/07) and the following started
    -periodically I'd lose my PPPoE connection and would be unable to reconnect without rebooting the router.
    -twice wireless connections would not work while wired would and would not work again without a reboot.

    I downgraded to 1.11, and these problems went away instantly. Is this a known issue or something new?
  2. luke-san

    luke-san LI Guru Member

    Using V1.13 on a WRT54GS uptime 27 days

    mm, also using PPPoE with a WAG200 that I've set as a bridge.
    Connected both wireless (2 laptops) and wired other pc's.
    No issues at all on my side.

    Maybe perform a full reset and reconfigure?
  3. Trel

    Trel LI Guru Member

    I tried that. I had the same problem until I went back to 1.11.
  4. paped

    paped LI Guru Member

    I have the same problem with PPPoE in that it disconnects, then will not reconnect until a reboot and even when it reconnects it often seems to have issues with the DNS not working..... I have also had issues with inbound VoIP calls to my sipura.

    I have downgraded to 1.11, reset the router and upgraded again, when I went back to 1.11 the connection issues disappeared but the VoIP issues did not. I have upgraded to 1.13 again and all the pppoe and VoIP issues appear to be back....

    So if anybody has any ideas it would be useful to hear them as I am baffled, however I am going to start another more detailed post about the VoIP specific issues....

    PS I am also running a WRT54GL router.....
  5. roadkill

    roadkill Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    yes PPPoE is problematic this is partly why I delayed my Mod
    you can bypass it if you manually set IP address and MTU.
    choose static and set an IP press save and then return it to PPPoE
    set the MTU manually to 1492 and try again.
  6. paped

    paped LI Guru Member

    Roadkill - I will give that a try thank you for your help....

    Update - just tried it and the router reconnected straight away which it has not been doing in the past so it is looking hopeful!!!! thanks again for your help....
  7. Trel

    Trel LI Guru Member

    I can set the MTU, but last I checked, I can't manually set the IP on Verizon DSL.
  8. Mercjoe

    Mercjoe Network Guru Member

    I had similar problem here. I never connected it to a PPoE issue.

    As long as wireless was disabled it was rock solid. As soon as I turned it on I experienced random internet disconnects, wireless drop-outs,etc. It made it really un-usable for me.

    I reverted back to 1.11 and all the problems went away.

    I have since turned off the wireless due to my guests leaving but I see no need to flash back up to 1.13 since I know there is a problem in it somewhere.

    I do not know what changed, but it seems to have created a mess.
  9. paped

    paped LI Guru Member

    TREL --- You don't need to set the static IP as such, just select Static from the drop down box the router will insert the current DHCP address that it has, click save.

    Once save complete, select PPPoE again set the MTU to manual and 1492 and click save again..... bish, bash, bosh, job done!!!!
  10. Trel

    Trel LI Guru Member

    Another problem is that I don't like having a static ip :p

    Besides, as I said, 1.11 works perfectly, so it has to be an issue with 1.13
  11. paped

    paped LI Guru Member

    Trel - sorry maybe I should have pointed out that you don't need a static IP to do it as it is only set as static on your router for a few seconds so in theory it could be any IP. At worst it will mean that you lose internet connectivity for a few second between saving the static settings and changing back to the PPPoE setting and saving them and hence going back to a DHCP IP address from your ISP.
  12. Trel

    Trel LI Guru Member

    I tried that and it didn't affect it. I went back to 1.11 again and the problems once again went away. The only conclusion I can draw is that it is in face a problem with 1.13 and not myself. (I freshly downloaded 1.13 each time)
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice