Question on cables

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    For all of us new to home-networking can a few of you pros tell us the difference between a "straight-through" cable and a "cross-over" cable and where both would typically be used in our home network?
  2. NateHoy

    NateHoy Network Guru Member

    A "Straight Through" cable wires pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. It is designed for a connection between a LAN hub/switch and a LAN card.

    This is because the TX (transmit) pins on a hub/switch are designed to be lined up with the RX (receive) pins on a NIC (network interface card).


    When connecting two like devices together (hub to hub, NIC to NIC), you have to reverse the transmit and receive pins so the two devices can talk (assuming you don't have a hub or switch with autocrossover detection, or a little button marked "X" that means crossover). This cable, which reverses the order of the connection, is called a "crossover" cable.

    Diagrams and pretty pictures here:
  3. sreevas

    sreevas Network Guru Member


    hey it sounds good short and sweet and appropriate answer and link is very useful good work.
    sreevas. :thumb:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice