Tomato 1.07 causes Trillian/Google Talk to fail

Discussion in 'Tomato Firmware' started by NelsonM, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. NelsonM

    NelsonM Network Guru Member

    I just got a WRT54GL and am running Tomato 1.07 on it. Love it, particularly the QoS options.

    I have one problem though; since switching routers my copy of Trillian can no longer connect to Google Talk. I'm using Cerulian's Jabber 3.1 plugin for Trillian. Trillian works fine behind other NAT routers, and the official Google Talk client works fine behind the Tomato router. But Trillian + Tomato = broken.

    The particular reported failure is "Unable to negotiate SASL". I took a look via WireShark and saw that two-way communication was happening fine, but I don't know enough about SASL to diagnose the problem from the packet stream.

    Trillian's Jabber implementation is pretty old and buggy, and given that other Google Talk clients work through Tomato I'm not too concerned about Tomato. I am curious, though. Is there some oddness going on with DNS names or IP addresses that could break SASL?
  2. roadkill

    roadkill Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    try to turn off QOS
  3. NelsonM

    NelsonM Network Guru Member

    Thanks for the suggestion; unfortunately the problem persists even with QoS turned off.

    Honestly, if the problem is unique to Trillian's implementation of Google Talk I wouldn't worry about it. Is there any evidence of other problems with SASL through Tomato?

    I took another crack at reading a packet dump but since it's all encrypted it's too much work. There's some cleartext negotation that ends with the server saying <proceed>. My client responds, the server sends back a certificate, then there's a total of 7 messages (client, server, client, server, client, server, client) witih no readable plaintext before the socket closes.
  4. Toxic

    Toxic Administrator Staff Member

  5. roadkill

    roadkill Super Moderator Staff Member Member

    most encrypted protocols don't throttle gracefully...
  6. NelsonM

    NelsonM Network Guru Member

    I'm embarassed to admit the problem isn't Tomato, it's me. I'd changed my password around the same time I switched routers and forgot to tell Trillian! D'oh.

    For the record, I found it by following Toxic's link which led me to an option in Trillian to log all the XML traffic. Buried in the XML dump was a notification from Google's Jabber server that I had the wrong password. Trillian just reports that as a SASL error, which led to my confusion.

    Anyway, no router mystery here. Sorry to have bothered you all!
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice