Upgrading internal wifi card to Speedbooster

Discussion in 'Networking Issues' started by flyguy42, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. flyguy42

    flyguy42 Network Guru Member

    I have noticed that some newer HP laptops are shipping with speedbooster compatable wifi cards. I have a E-Machine 6811 with built in vanilla-G. Does anyone know where I can obtain a mini-pci Speedbooster card for a reasonable price? I looked briefly at some prices on the HP web site.. but they wanted around $150, and that was for a regular G card. I have seen some 108mps mini-pci cards around the web for around $45 but none of them say Speedbooster on them. Can anyone advise?
  2. jgutz20

    jgutz20 Network Guru Member

  3. flyguy42

    flyguy42 Network Guru Member

    Heh.. yeah. I know about those. :)

    Im looking for a mini pci (not PCMCIA) card to replace the internal card in my laptop. The only ones I can find that are 108Mbit are compatible with D-Link and the like only....

    I know there are speedbooster compatible cards, as HP is using them. I just cant seem to find them for sale.
  4. Toxic

    Toxic Administrator Staff Member

    you would need to contact an HP Parts/service/repair firm as they most likely will sell one seperately.

    I contacted Acer parts supplier to get my gfx card upgraded, which they done ok.
  5. t4thfavor

    t4thfavor Network Guru Member

    you have to ask yourself if you really need the extra 30%
    or whatever it is
    because when it comes to a laptop the more throughput you have the lower your battery life is
    i use a usb "WUSB54Dv4" on my laptop (usb1.1) and a buffalo something
    and the battery lives like a third as long with the slower usb connection

    just something to think about
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice