WRT54GL- what type of antenna connection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by belleekbeetle, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. belleekbeetle

    belleekbeetle LI Guru Member

    I have a WRT54GL and intent to replace the antenna with a high gain one - can anyone confirm the type andsize of connector I need to do this - the antenna will have an RP SMA type connection so I presume I will need some sort of an adaptor.
  2. pauldotcom

    pauldotcom LI Guru Member

    The WRT54GL (and all other WRT54G and GS models, except the wrtsl54GS) have an RP-TNC connector.

    If you already have an RP-SMA, you need an adapter such as this one:


    However, you will get some loss of signal, which can be accounted for using a wireless calculator:


    The site www.netgate.com is great for antennas, it may be worth your while just to buy an add-on RP-TNC antenna, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

  3. belleekbeetle

    belleekbeetle LI Guru Member

    Thanks for your help with this - i have been able to order the part I need now. I am trying to send wireless from 1 building to another with a clear line of sight in a rural area over around 500 metres using 2 outdoor antennas - 1 at either end - will let you know how I get on.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice