WRT54GS V4 Thibor 15c needs constant resets

Discussion in 'HyperWRT Firmware' started by scrupul0us, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. scrupul0us

    scrupul0us Network Guru Member

    Lately my WRT54GS V4 w/ Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c is dropping all connections wired and wireless and requires me to unplug and replug the router

    Any recommendations?
  2. Toxic

    Toxic Administrator Staff Member

    have you tried resetting back to factory defaults? upgrading to tomato firmware? are you using torrents or any other high connection software? what type of WAN connection do you have, what is the MTU set at?

    you need to give us some info of what you are doing when this happens.
  3. scrupul0us

    scrupul0us Network Guru Member

    I have not tried a reset to the factory yet as i figured id post here for some help first

    as for throughput during these times... nothing really just web browsing... i just got off a nice stint of downloading early in the week and figured maybe the logs were overflowing or something so i shut all those off

    the only other "bulky" item on my router is the wireless mac address list, ive used half the page

    i have time warner cable / roadrunner turbo for my ISP/WAN provider

    my MTU is set at the default (Auto)

    please let me know what other information you need and ill be glad to provide it

    what are the benefits to the tomatoe firmware over the hyperwrt + thibor?

    thanks for the help

  4. GhaladReam

    GhaladReam Network Guru Member

    More stable, and more up-to-date.
  5. scrupul0us

    scrupul0us Network Guru Member

    can i just install over hyperwrt using the upgrade page or is it a good idea to reset to factory then upgrade to tomato an then flash the nvram (i read about flashing the nvram on the website)
  6. grcore

    grcore Network Guru Member

    I have had a similar problem with a GSv1.0 and a GL version. Swapping the units made no difference. Neither has firmware, DDWRT, HyperWRT, Alchemy, etc.

    Over a period of time (a few days), the services of the router stop responding, including telnet, httpd, ssh, etc. The LAN ports still function. This unit is connected via a LAN port and provides wireless and WDS to another unit (WAN is disabled).

    Note, in this building there are 2 other GSv1.0 connected in the same manner with the same firmware and they do not experience this issue, (connected via LAN port to main router and have the WAN disabled). There are also 3 other WRTs that are WDS endpoint (repeaters) that have no trouble.

    My guess is there is some type traffic that causes the issue (I guess). But I cannot determine what is going on because I cannot access the logs, or any other service of the router. It seems to work for a few days, then it croaks.

    I have replaced the power supply, replaced the WRT, replaced the firmware, reset it back to factory defaults several times. Nothing makes a difference.

    This unit worked in its present location for over 2 years without any trouble. Then all of a sudden, this starts happening.

    Currently, i have a cron job that restarts the router at 12:05am every day. Since then, no more issues. It's not a solution, but a workaround.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice